Saturday 11 February 2012

EINFUHLUNG (empathy)

I'm currently working as one of a group of 6 artists who are curating and producing an exibition at the Workstation Sheffield (see above) week commencing 12th March, opening date and preview yet to be arranged. The second photograph shows the corner where hopefully my sculpture will be displayed.
Einfuhlung is a german word suggested by Jannine one of the group meaning 'feeling into and projection of personality into the object of contemplation', which resonates with everyones artwork so this was readily accepted as the group name.
This will be my first foray into an abstract piece of sculpture inspired by the word 'introspection' an observation of one's own mental and emotional state, the act of looking within. Once again I am concentrating on wire sculpture as I really enjoyed working with wire to create the skull (see previous), but I just hope this abstract piece will give me as much creative satisfaction as the skull did! I had originally intended to make a full figure out of wire, but the time constraints and the density I would like to produce for this sculpture would not be realistic for the exhibition date.
I already have some chicken wire left from before and I have salvaged some rusty springs from my next door neighbours settee he's dismantled, in fact he'd saved them for me (thanks Phil) knowing my love for bits of discarded ephemera! I am hoping I can incorporate them in my sculpture we'll just have to see how it evolves. New chicken wire has cost me £43, as I need to produce on a larger scale, I hope I don't have to buy any more. I'm thinking of a mirror base and maybe mirror pieces in the sculpture who knows? Once I have started I will post some photographs to show progress and development.

No comments:

Post a Comment