Monday 30 January 2012

Chicken wire to the rescue

I've made small items out of wire before but last October I decided I wanted to try and create a skull out of wire. Pottering in the garden I found a roll of chicken wire behind the shed and decided this would be ideal to use. I also liked the idea of using something for this project that had been used for a different purpose and was now discarded.
The development of this piece was lengthy and time consuming but ultimately very satisfying.  Chicken wire is not user friendly and I started off wearing gloves but this was not satisfactory, they were soon discarded and although I ended up with scratches and cuts it was definitely more satisfying feeling the wire with your hands as you worked.
I had initially not intended to make the wire sculpture as dense as this but it was a natural progression and it seemed the right thing to do. I ran out of the discarded chicken wire long before I had finished this sculpture and did need to buy more, but I was very pleased with the result.  If you want to see the finished piece go to my website for further pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment