Monday 30 January 2012

Two faced!


I enjoy experimenting with different materials and last year I decided to try taking face moulds and casting in different materials.  I have previously used mod roc when casting body parts(relax only hands and arms......so far) but, felt that results with mod roc varied.  So, after researching further I discovered alginate. This is non toxic powder made from seaweed(good) and you mix with water and need to use immediately as it dries literally in minutes (not so good)and within 5-10 mins dries.  You need to support the alginate with mod roc because it goes floppy unsupported. You can remove from the part you are casting, once the mod roc dries. As usual hubby volunteered and on the second attempt (the first mix dried immediately) the result was really good.
The alginate picked up the slightest imperfections very easily. I had mixed results with the casting and unfortunately air bubbles in the alginate caused a few problems but overall the moulds were really good. The only disappointment was that I could not use this alginate as a mould for casting resin. Unfortunately there is too much moisture in the alginate and the cast would not be successful.  This is a future project to cast a resin head.  If you are interested in seeing the results visit my webpage for more pics.

No comments:

Post a Comment